Tuesday 20 November 2012

Believe In Your Writing

    By Hannah Bartels      

          Writing.  It’s something we many of us take great pleasure in doing.  We use it to express ourselves, to escape, to share our lives with others; however, sharing our work with others is not always so easy.  Confidence is one thing many writers lack and one thing that is very important to have. 
          I don’t know about anyone else, but I often put very personal experiences on paper.  I use writing to get out my emotions, my feelings towards people or situations and to make sure I don’t forget certain experiences or feelings.  When I have to show these pieces of writing, these chunks of my life, to other people, I get very uncomfortable.  Nerves start to kick in, I get butterflies in my stomach and I automatically assume they are going to hate it.  When it comes time to hand it over to the reader, I start to criticize the work myself, saying things like: “It’s not my best work, don’t look too much into it, I wrote it really quickly.”  Getting people’s opinions about my work, something that I put so much hard work in, terrifies me.  One of my biggest fears is that they’ll put me down as a writer.  Personally, I don’t think anything I write is very impressive, but to have other people tell me that would probably crush me, and I can’t pinpoint why.
I am also horrified of showing my writing to my friends and family.  Peers are one thing, but people who actually know me, and what I've gone through, do not read my writing.  I always fear that they may send me to a psychiatrist or something because some of my writing topics are pretty deep and depressing.  This is something I, and other writers who have the same problem, need to get over.  Family and friends are probably the best critics, because they will (hopefully) always be willing to read whatever you hand them.  And they will realize and understand that you can’t always write about sunshine and rainbows. They will also realize that just because the topic of your writing is melancholic, it does not mean that you are actually depressed. 
          I really lose confidence when I read my classmates’ and peers’ writing.  I feel that everyone is so much more talented than I am.  When I go on the class forum and read people’s posts, I immediately read my entries and tear them apart until I think they’re at least a little decent.  I picture them reading my posts or texts and laughing at how terrible of a writer I am.  I don’t think I am alone on this one.  What I’ve discovered is there will always be someone better: a better athlete, better dancer, better musician, and, of course, a better writer.  Even though someone will be better than you, it does not mean you lack talent.  If we are confident in our writing, then it will show; but, if we are self-conscious and continuously pick at a sentence or paragraph until we think other people will like it, it will show and people will know you’re trying too hard.
          I am not the best writer and that’s a fact, but what I know is that we need to write for ourselves and just let the words flow out onto the paper (or the computer screen) without worrying what people will think about it.  In the world of literature and writing, confidence really is key.

8 comments:

  1. This was very insightful because I felt like you were describing how I feel as well. I really like how you say that even though it's hard, we need to write for us and not for the people who will judge our work. I think you have a point that is very relevant because it is so easy to lose confidence when looking at other writers' work. I do think however that yes, we must write for ourselves but there comes a time where we want to please the audience, which is what creates frustration and jealousy for other writers who can create such beautiful pieces of writing. This is where self-esteem comes in, which disappears instantly for me. I think that we can always improve though and exceed the limits that we think we have compared to other writers' skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prior to this semester, I was terrified of showing anyone my writing! Like you mentioned, when I used to have to share my writing, nerves began to kick in and I immediately became very unsure of myself, and felt as though whoever I would show it to would absolutely hate it. We always think of the worst scenario - someone close to us hating something we have written from deep personal experiences. After taking this class though, I became more and more open to allowing friends and family read my writing. Truthfully, even if they don't like a particular line or paragraph, it just opens my eyes to parts that I could change. My confidence in my writing has gone up so much after showing people my writing. Some people really give positive feedback and honestly, each comment I have gotten on my theory-into-practice or RAW writings have made me so grateful and given me more determination to pursue the art of writing. You are definitely not alone on reading people's writings and getting discouraged. I constantly try to remind myself that we are all talented in our own ways. Some of us are better at poetry, while others enjoy writing plays. We are equally talented! Always be confident and get inspiration from others. I really like your post and think that each of us can relate to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your entry. You are very open, I admire that. This is a quality I feel I lack. Everything you said, I understood. Everything you wrote out was clear and incredibly insightful. I was able to relate to your insecurities.
    “When it comes time to hand it over to the reader, I start to criticize the work myself, saying things like: “It’s not my best work, don’t look too much into it, I wrote it really quickly.””
    Thank you for including this passage, they are my words exactly- all the time and for anything I care about. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who says this :)
    It's hard to not care what other people think and it’s easy to be careless and silly. What takes real courage is standing behind the pieces you are most unsure about. There's never anything right, anything better, there’s just you, you and what you make of things :)
    -Jessica Feuiltault

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel exactly the same! Their are many times when I feel like I am not cut out for this at all, just because everyone elses writing is so much better, more detailed, more compact and could potentially be published. I think you did well in adressing this issue. I also think that your right in stating that we should just let the words flow on papr and worry about te rest later. Sometimes I get self-conscious over my work because just like yourself, I get worried as to what people will say bsed on my themes abd characters, etc. Reading your post gave me confidence, confidence to push forward and realize that just because someone may appear to be more talented than you does not mean that you are not a bad writer. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so accurate!! I think that what you wrote is really relatable to a lot of new writers. From personal experience, I pretty much only feel comfortable writing from experience because that's where the most emotion comes from. I am very self conscious of anything I write and even now at the end of the semester I am still very nervous when I have to show someone my work. It becomes very nerve wracking and even though the person might say it is amazing, I am still criticizing myself because I feel like there are much better writers. I can really appreciate the fact that you wrote about this because I think everyone feels the same way, when in reality were all good writers and we work to the best of our ability. There is always going to be someone better or more successful than you in anything but that doesn't mean that you failed. Especially in creative writing, there is no wrong way to express yourself.

    - Lindsey Perlman

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The important is for you to love it. Don't be so hard on yourself. I write about deep things all the time and I am far from depressed, I enjoy life a lot. However beautiful things can be created from negative emotions too. Especially in writing. And it expressed your own emotions and channels them into your stories to make them genuine. Therefore, after writing, all that remains is your positive emotions.

    Don't forget to write for yourself. I mean at the end of the day, f*** what people are thinking. It is none of anyone's business but yours. And if you want to share it then it is dope for you to share your gift with the world. Not everyone is going to like it but that is either because it is not their style or because they are ignorant haters. And either way, you shouldn't care about them. Just do your thing. And don't be scared to show your work to your family and close friends. They are the ones who will be there forever for you therefore trust them, they will for sure make you better. Learn to accept critics and take from them to improve.

    Leonie Philippe- Beaudoin

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so true! I feel exactly the same way sometimes and it’s very frustrating. I don’t normally write from life but I think when you said “When I have to show these pieces of writing, these chunks of my life, to other people, I get very uncomfortable.” It could apply to any sort of writing whether it’s from life or fiction because when I voluntarily show my stories (which are normally fiction) to people (which is not very often) I get very nervous about what they’re going to say. This is the first time I think since high school that I've let my parents read my writing, it’s usually just been a private thing for me and I was always nervous about their reactions. As for confidence I find you really can’t compare your work to somebody else’s because we all have different styles of writing.

    ReplyDelete