Thursday 14 November 2013

Poetic Justice - Staying Inspired

    I think the reason why so many people hate poetry is because they have to write it for english class on subjects they don't care about. But it doesn't have to be like that. You can love poetry and poetry can love you. Every weekend I take some time to write down what I'm thinking about. For some reason it always comes out in the form of poetry. It's uncanny how soothing it is to write down your problems on paper. You feel like some of the pressure gets lifted off your shoulders and put onto the paper.
    I'm never satisfied with my work either. Maybe that's why a lot of people hate it. It's hard to make a perfect poem. But that's not the goal of poetry. You thoughts aren't perfect, so why should your poetry? Just write. Write it all, even if it sounds bad. Even if it doesn't flow. Even if you hate it. I've got page after page of poetry that I've never finished, on topics that I look back at and shake my head at. "What was I thinking?" comes out of my mouth as I reread old poems. But then I find that one stanza. That one combination of lines that rings true even if the rest it complete garbage. It makes it worth it. Then I write more based on that stanza, until I've got a bunch of them that I'm okay with.
    I almost always write to music. Now music isn't obligatory, but I find it helps to discover what rhythmic flow you're searching after. Poems sound better when they've got a certain flow. Fast, slow, whatever. There's plenty of instrumental music out there. I love old hip hop beats. They're repetitive and consistent, easiest to write to. Don't get an instrumental that's super abrasive, I find it really hard to write when the music is overpowering my thoughts. Get something smooth and easy-going. Having some back up music helps me stay focused for the few hours I write a week.
    Staying inspired is hard. It's alright to feel discouraged. I find that reading some poetry online or listening to your favourite music helps keep you inspired (and sane). Drink a tea or something like that, turn off the TV, get away from your family. If you can't stay in the house go to a coffee shop or something like that, or hit up a library. Plan it out beforehand. I've found that if I go out of my way to do something, I stay focused on it a little better. You can skip a week or two if you've got other priorities, that's fine, but keep the memories and emotions you felt in mind. Let it simmer if you can't write it down. But don't forget it.
    Honestly, the best way to experience poetry is to just get to it. Don't be afraid of your writing. You're you're own worst critic. Don't try writing all the time, take a break. Write once a week, but write at least. Sunday's a good day for writing (assuming you've done your homework) because you've got a whole week of experiences and feelings to write about. Look at other poets for inspiration, or listen to your favourite songs. What are they talking about? Love? Family? Hopes and dreams? You don't have to get into a cliche about love, but if that's what you're feeling, go for it.

By Matthew Lopes

3 comments:

  1. I love your take on poetry! I definitely think poetry is tough to write, but I agree that it can be really cathartic and rewarding if you just make yourself do it. I also really like your mention of music, since I definitely think finding the perfect playlist or music can do a world of wonder for my ability to write and be inspired. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!

    I really liked your blog entry because it reflects how I personally feel about the whole process which goes into making a great piece of poetry. I love that you mention that you don't have to like everything that you're writing as long as your writing for the sake of that one perfect stanza that makes it all worth it. Having background music is also a very helpful tip. Personally, having music playing while I'm trying to do work helps me relax and makes the ideas flow more fluently. Lastly, I really like the part where you mention that writing on Sundays is a good idea. I've always believed that inspiration is best drawn from our own lives, and you couldn't be more right by saying that skipping a week will make all your wonderful ideas build up till I'm bursting at the seams to get them out. I know that's when I get my best writing done!

    Great job and interesting ideas
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete