Thursday 7 November 2013

Thanks Anne Lamott

     Whenever I talk with people about writing, I always tell them that it is the scariest thing that I put myself through. I'm not sure whether it is the pressure to write something meaningful, or if it is the desire to write something that simply doesn't stink, but writing is a very difficult hobby to pursue. I always find intimidating to sit down and write because I am too afraid that I won't be able to produce something amazing, which is terrible because that means that I never produce anything at all. 
Since reading Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird it has become obvious to me that I am perfectionist that expects literary gold on the first shot. I am sure that I am not alone in this either, and this is why a lot of people find writing to be frightening. Lamott's advice has been really helpful in moving past these unrealistic expectations. You have to write a really terrible first draft, and maybe more, before you will be able to have a piece that is somewhat good. It is this idea of using the first draft as a means to get everything down on paper that is important. The first time you explore an idea should not be the place that you expect to see Pulitzer Prize worthy writing. Perhaps there will be amazing lines that will come from this first draft, but the majority of it will not be amazing. I think it is when we accept this fact that we can truly begin to write with relatively more ease, as it takes some of the pressure away.
I recently had the opportunity to implement this horrible first draft technique when attempting to write a paper. I sat down and just began to write with the thought in mind that I would just go back and fix anything and everything later. I was just going to throw up all my ideas on to the paper and worry about arranging them in a coherent way later. I can honestly say that this paper was one of my best. I had taken the time to get everything out and then was able to really focus on editing my work.
I would recommend this method to anyone who wants to write, whether it is creatively, or academically. It is a simple piece of advice, but it really does help. Writing can be phobia inducing, so anything that will take away some of its frightfulness, is a big deal. Anyone who loves to put pen to paper would probably agree with me, which is why I owe Anne Lamott a great deal of thanks for her incredibly helpful advice.
 By: Melody Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment